High quality compact to complement M4/3 system - any thoughts?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 955Gear list
Like?
Re: High quality compact to complement M4/3 system - any thoughts?
In reply to Ido S, 9 months ago

Look around for some deals on the first-generation Sony RX100. If you can find one new or used (in great condition) for under $450, then just go for it. It's 95% as good as the RX100 II. Especially if you get an accessory grip for it, which will make it comfortable to hold.

Otherwise, I'd either get the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 or the Olympus Stylus XZ-2. They're very similar in a lot of respects - from sensor size through lens to price. From what I understand, the Olympus is slightly bigger and manual settings are more easily accessible, but I haven't checked to see if it's true or not.

If you pass those two, then get one of the connected cameras, like the Canon PowerShot S120 or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1.

I like having the LF1 in addition to my M43 for a couple of key reasons... For one thing, it's truly pocketable in a way that even the RX100 isn't (just a little too thick). Plus it's got a versatile zoom range and I'm already familiar with the Panasonic UI.

That's just me tho, this is a pretty subjective question... If I had more money to throw around at cameras right now I'd probably trade my GF for a GX7/G6 and then get a GM1 for true portability... It's still not pocketable with a lens on tho so I dunno if it'd replace my P&S, can always put the lens in my other pocket but then the process of taking candid soshots becomes more tedious.

Like I said tho, that's just me. I imagine a woman who usually carries a purse or someone who lives farther North and wears a jacket often might find the GM1 to be just about the perfect combination of IQ and portability.

Then again, the E-PM2 is much cheaper and not much larger... Once you add something like the new Oly PZ or the Panasonic 12-32mm you'll end up paying nearly the same as you would for the GM1 (or RX100 for that matter). It really depends on your needs and budget, if the latter is large and you're only using it for a specific purpose then models like the Ricoh GR might be more appealing.

I could see someone owning two M43 bodies (large & small) and still finding a use for a GR or RX1. OTOH if you want something to get into concerts and such with then the LF1, Stylus 1, etc start looking better.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow