Walking distance: prime lenses instead zooms?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Walking distance: prime lenses instead zooms?
7 months ago

Hi everybody!

Today sensors are more demanding than ever, it's always been hard and it will never stop! That tell to me, it should be better to buy primes lenses (instead zoom) in some situations (when sharp shots are required, corner to corner, and so on).

So, to choose the best gear for an upgrade, I worried which focal length are required: keeping in mind a manageable walking distance between two points (I mean from one focal length to the next), if the goal is to cover the same angle view each time, but from different points, and with differents focal lenghts lenses?

That means: which distance, or how many steps in the "walking distance" are required, to cover the same frame (if we miss a focal lenght, for exemple):

From 11mm to 16mm: XX (steps or meters?)
From 16mm to 24mm: XX (steps or meters?)
From 24mm to 35mm: XX (steps or meters?)
From 35mm to 50mm: XX (steps or meters?)
From 50mm to 70mm: XX (steps or meters?)
From 70mm to 100mm: XX (steps or meters?)
From 100mm to 200mm: XX (steps or meters?)

My question is also about the supposed need to buy a zoom for short focal lenght (instead different -and better- primes) between 16mm to 70mm (and up?) since we know we have to walk a tad only (instead buying another lens).

-- hide signature --

Regards,

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

--
Cordialement,
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow