What's all this about "slow" AF with X-E1/X-Pro1??

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: What's all this about "slow" AF with X-E1/X-Pro1??
In reply to Les Lammers, 5 months ago

Les Lammers wrote:

FBoneOne wrote:

even with the latest firmware on lens and camera, the XP1 can hunt when doing street photography in at times tricky lighting conditions. I am not talking pitch dark here, just deeper shadows or street lamps.

you can look at it both ways, yes, top dSLRs usually will do better in similar conditions - my 1D mk4 beats my XP1 every day in this regard but nobody likes to be targeted by a 1D with 16-35 / 2.8 whereas the XP1 is simply incognito 99% of the time.

The other way is to remember that Cartier Bresson never had AF even as slow as the XP1 is and still did Ok. Zone focusing is still a photographer's best friend in those conditions.

+1 There are many people here that have never used a manual cameras. How were sports shot B4 AE/AF?

Anticipation, understanding the sport from a photographer's viewpoint, and scale/zone focus. With a bit of experience one can predict the most likely area where peak action will take place—no matter the sport—and make sure that depth of field covers it. Some examples, that can be equally applied to digital cameras.

In baseball, it is easy. Second base generally yields the best images, with home plate second. The game has a pace that makes shooting easy. When the runner leaves first base trying to steal second, you have plenty of time to frame and even focus manually.

NASCAR racing, Daytona International Speedway, for example—generally a big wreck out of the second turn, be ready between 350 and 400 miles into the race. Otherwise, keep an eye on the space between the third and fourth turn for a car in the pack getting out of shape, but pre-focus on the beginning of the tri-oval where the action will actually happen. Other than that, cover the pits. Cars running on the track, shot with a high shutter speed look like they are parked and even with blur, are boring. Pits provide drama as do crashes.

Basketball, the basket is too easy and too cliche. Prefocus with a medium long lens, 85-135mm so an area from 15-20 feet are in the zone, and look for emotion on players faces in face-to-face confrontations.

Hockey, which I shot successfully with the X-Pro1 and 60mm lens a year ago. All manual, including ISO. Test focus before the game. Found that if I focused upon the goal, at f/4.0 the opposite boards were sharp. Near the camera, focus held to the point that the players over-ran the image area. ISO6400, F/4.0 @ 1/500th in that rink. Checking the histogram, it showed a limited dynamic range, and by exposing at -1.0EV, I could shoot at 1/1000th and still retain full shadow detail. No change of settings for the whole game. The OVF showed considerable space outside the image area, allowing me to make instant adjustments to capture developing action that would have been invisible with an SLR camera. Ideal camera for hockey. Note, that I shot it as if it was a completely manual camera.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow