MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280
Like?
Re: MFT Users: Do you miss the shallower depth-of-field of bigger sensor cameras?
In reply to Superzoom2, 5 months ago

I sometimes want shallower DOF than I can get with my GX7 and kit lens.  But that was also the case with the APS-C NEX and kit lens I used to own.  In both cases there were times when the background was busier than I would have liked.  The NEX was better but the .8 stop advantage due to sensor size was not enough to solve the problem.

The solution was the same in both cases too, a fast prime.  I had a 50mm f1.8 for the Sony and a 45mm f1.8 for the GX7.  It is quite uncommon for me to want less DOF than I can get with the 45mm.

If you still have your APS Canon SLRs you can decide for yourself.  Just stop down an extra 2/3's of a f-stop and you will match the DOF of a m43 camera.  How thin is thin enough is very subjective, I have no way of telling what is good enough for you.  While the 2 stop difference between FF and m43 is pretty significant I think the DOF advantage of APS over m43 is very real but often exaggerated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Yes.New
Hmm.New
YesNew
YesNew
NoNew
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow