APSC vs FF

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,613Gear list
Like?
Re: APSC vs FF
In reply to chr68, 5 months ago

You really should have searched and read some threads here. This has been discussed extensively.

But:

A full frame sensor is about twice the area of an APS-C sensor. That means it needs twice as much light to illuminate it. Correspondingly, a lens of the same field of view, and similar physical size, will probably be a stop slower. In terms of noise and IQ, you get a good one stop advantage on FF over APS-C, so it's a wash.

For me, the big advantages are in using legacy lenses. I get full use out of a 55/1.2, instead of wasting half the light that comes through it, and my 14mm is once again an ultra-wide-angle instead of a 21mm equivalent. A full frame sensor also allows for shorter depth of field for better subject isolation. A lot of fast lenses, especially the more affordable ones, get soft and glowy wide open. Full frame allows you to stop these down a bit for better sharpness and still have good subject isolation and low light capability.

If you're shooting more telephoto, you may be less interested in these benefits, as the APS-C crop factor is a cheaper and (IMO) better way of extending the reach of a long lens than a focal multiplier; and long, fast, full frame lenses are big and expensive.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow