High quality compact to complement M4/3 system - any thoughts?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,352Gear list
Like?
Re: High quality compact to complement M4/3 system - any thoughts?
In reply to Rohith Thumati, 8 months ago

Rohith Thumati wrote:

The reviews of the GR are glowing, and if you're happy with the 28mm (full frame equivalent) angle of view, then that'd be a great option. The Nikon Coolpix A also qualifies, but it's so much more expensive than the GR and doesn't appear to have any better image quality (from the reviews I've read) that I can't imagine it being worth it.

pricing probably varies by region. In Europe the Coolpix A and Ricoh GR are almost the same price; at the moment the Coolpix A seems slightly cheaper on average.

If you don't like that field of view, though, it'd be the wrong choice.

If you're okay with non-pocketable, your choices expand quite a bit.

The Panasonic GM1 should be at the top of your list (it's at the top of mine right now). Whether or not it's pocketable depends on how big your pockets are, but the people I know who have it love it. The images will be on par with what your E-M1 puts out, give or take a little here or there. The kit lens isn't the brightest optic, but it's, well, a kit lens. You can always put on a prime like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 or Olympus 17mm f1.8 and be a low light monster. It doesn't have a viewfinder, though.

My question with GM1 option in this case is: how important is the fact that you can change the lens for such a 'secondary camera', that will be used when a normal m43 kit is too big? The GM1 kit zoom has relatively small reach, is the difference with the fixed 28mm (plus 35mm setting ...) on the Ricoh GR important enough to accept the extra bulk and slightly lower image quality of the GM1?

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow