High quality compact to complement M4/3 system - any thoughts?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,644Gear list
Like?
Re: High quality compact to complement M4/3 system - any thoughts?
In reply to Ralph Encarnacion, 10 months ago

Ralph Encarnacion wrote: Then like you, I kept reading about the Sony RX100M2, and I ended up getting that. The RX100M2 is at the top of the food chain when it comes to pocket cameras. If you want something better, you pretty much need a bigger camera, and if I am going to carry a bigger camera, I might as well bring my GH3.

better = bigger camera? only if you want the same features, especially regarding lens (aperture and zoom range).

It all depends on what compromise works for you. If you need more zoom range than RX100 that's possible in a smaller package but you will have to accept a smaller sensor. A bigger sensor than RX100 AND better lens quality is also possible with the Ricoh GR, but the compromise is that you can't really 'zoom in'. If WA reach beyond 28mm equiv. and compact package is more important than sensor size / low light image quality, maybe the Canon S120 is an option.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow