Getting a Grip on the 4K Video Conversation

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,898Gear list
Like?
Re: Great for video fans, but some photographers still may not be interested
In reply to Joe Pa, 8 months ago

Joe Pa wrote:

That can be said for any advances in technology. Some complain that that digital ruined the art and skill that shooting with film required. It's much easier to get instant feedback and take another shot than to have to wait until the film is developed to find out your exposure was off.
Driving an automatic transmission takes less skill than a manual transmission. Digital image editing is easier than post-processing film...the examples go on and on.

You can either embrace technology or ignore it, but that won't change it or prevent it from becoming widely used. If you ignore it too long, it will pass you by whether you like it or not. How many typewriter repairman are still employed today?

4K is hot and new, it's not going to be adopted quickly, we don't even have full 2K yet. But it's here and it will change some paradigms for video and stills. Some will adapt, others won't.

All of that is true - but mostly the 'need' to adapt and keep up with changes is for those whose careers depend on it, professionals who usually must stay on top of the curve to remain competitive.  But for consumers, hobbyists, enthusiasts...people who photograph because they enjoy it, it's possible to have a line in the sand - a point at which you accept technological advances as helping you enjoy your pursuit more, versus when that technology removes the 'you' from the equation too much.  There just comes a point for almost all hobbies, for almost all enthusiasts, where the technology changes too much, or for the worse.  Everyone's line is in a different place...and that's fine.  My line in photography is when the capture of a still moment no longer involves any chance or requires any additional skill than having the camera pointed in the right direction, while video records the entire period of time for me to relaxedly peruse at some other time to pull my precise moment.  It just doesn't sound fun to me, it doesn't sound like photography anymore to me.  That's my line.  It's not right or wrong - other people might have drawn the line a while ago, back with live view, or burst shooting...still others don't feel their line has been reached yet, and invite such an advance.  All of that's fine...each of us draws our line where we feel our hobby is no longer the hobby we love.  For some, myself included and possibly some others here, pulling frames from video doesn't replace photography...it eliminates it.

Note: to clarify: I'm not against 4K video.  I'm not against shooting video.  And I'm not against video existing in still cameras as an option.  I only take a stand against video intruding on still photography, or worse, trying to replace it.  If the two can coexist in the same camera, I'm perfectly OK with that.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow