Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,373
Like?
Practical use of Wi-Fi
7 months ago

I didn't see that I needed Wi-Fi when it first came on the scene but I thought you might like to see why I've changed my mind.

Here I’m using the G6, my 14-140, a Gorilla type tripod. and my Google Nexus 7 tablet

Picture 1 shows my tablet set up and sitting in my spare bedroom/office. In the middle of the back of the picture you can see my white bird bath and just in front at about 4-o-clock is my ground feeder. The feeder is displayed on the tablet screen.

Picture 2 shows a closer view of the tablet. Please excuse the picture IQ this wasn’t intended as a quality picture demo.

Picture 3 shows a zoom in on the set up at the feeder. At that distance the Wi-Fi holds very well. In fact if you look at the end of the path and go back another couple meters to the light and shade green patch, I moved the set up back to there and it was still working well.

The exercise wasn't completely successful as you can see from pictures 4 & 5. At the small distance between camera and feeder focus is critical. Auto focus is not very practical because there are many things the camera can choose to focus on including the edge of the feeder, the seed, the bird and numerous pieces of background.

I used MF and at this point the fully articulating LCD is priceless for setting up. But with MF, especially as you don’t know where exactly the bird is going to be, the DOF is critical and both of these shots are not quite sharp. The focus seems to be on the left side of the seed or the pigeons feet.

So I’m now going to practice with my third option which is to use AF and to move the focus point on the tablet to hit the birds head. I don’t use the LCD for focusing so I shall have to practice. I’ll let you know how I get on.

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow