>>> Street Photography eXchange #84 <<<

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,601Gear list
Like?
here's hoping we can all do better
In reply to HappyVan, 10 months ago

i agree with you, happyvan, that a sizable portion of the last thread was not exemplary. i certainly will second your call for less rudeness, more learning, more focus on the photos, and i think most everyone else will agree with you too. although, to look on the bright side, i thought there were also quite a few good photos, and responses, posted in that thread as well.

the previous thread closed out before i had a chance to comment on your broken guitar photo. i appreciated how you made use of the no parking stencils; i had a little trouble seeing that the jewelry displays related to the rest of the pic, partly because of size. i found the cut-off text on the awnings very distracting, enough that i would consider cropping that part out (just the white text). i was also toying with the idea of cropping some off the left edge, centering the fg figure, maybe even taking out the 'no' on the left. as was mentioned, while the two figures heading right are perfectly timed and compositionally strong, the figure in blue is less fortunate. oh well.

i also would likely have missed the broken off part of the guitar, if it hadn't been in the title. i wonder if shooting from a slightly closer, slightly higher up vantage wouldn't have provided enough separation and detail to make that element more salient. it probably would have been hard to keep the no parking text in that case, so i don't know.

thanks for posting, and i hope you continue to do so--

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
smsNew
RedNew
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow