High quality compact to complement M4/3 system - any thoughts?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
3 choices...
In reply to NewGirlLiz, 10 months ago

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Fujifilm X20.

Sony RX100 ii.

Olympus Stylus 1

None of these are really compact. The RX100 being the closest. You might as well by the 14-42EZ zoom and put it on the E-M1 instead of getting the X20.

The Ricoh GR. I've owned the older models and it's really a pleasure to shoot with. As a bonus it's one of the most compact high end compacts you can buy. Truely pocketable.

The Panasonic GM1. Stay with the m43s family. The 12-32 lens is a good match. A number of other compact primes or even the new 12-42EZ although it might stick out the bottom a little. It's hardly bigger than most of the high end compacts and a lot better in many ways. The ability to use better lenses on it, or small lenses on your E-M1 adds to it's flexibility.

It doesn't sound like you are looking in this direction, but one of those rugged compact cameras. Looks like you are looking more for quality, but it's nice to have a camera that can take the bumps, when you might not like to bring the E-M1.

I"ve been searching for a nice compact for a while and I haven't really found anything more appealing than these choices. Just don't need it enough to justify buying it yet.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow