Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skyglider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,208Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-T1 vs Oly E-M1: Size comparison
10 months ago

Since this comparison applies to two different brands of cameras I decided to post it in the open forum, instead of posting it twice (once in each appropriate forum). This will keep any subsequent posts all in one thread.)

I was interested in how the size of the new Fujifilm X-T1 camera with its APS-C sized sensor compares to the Olympus OMD E-M1 with it's smaller micro 4/3 sensor. Was especially interested in how the overall sizes compare with the lenses I would choose for each camera.

My current choice of lens for X-T1 is the Fujifilm 18-55mm (27 - 82.5mm equivalent, 3.1x zoom) F2.8-4.0 OIS lens. Would prefer a constant F2.8 aperture but that's not currently available AFAIK. ..... My choice of lens for the E-M1 is the Olympus 14-40mm (24-80mm equivalent, 2.9x zoom) F2.8 constant aperture Pro lens.

Not being able to find a direct comparison on the web, I decided to make my own comparison using Photoshop. According to dpreview's camera specs, the X-T1 is 129mm wide while the E-M1 is 130mm wide. So I scaled each image to those widths for my comparison. Here's the result:

It surprised me that the overall size of the X-T1 with it's larger APS-C sensor plus my lens of choice is actually smaller than the overall size of the E-M1 with its smaller micro 4/3 sensor plus my lens of choice for it. Yes the E-M1's lens has a constant F2.8 aperture throughout its zoom range which makes it a relatively larger lens. Still, the results surprised me.

I decided to share my comparison with the forum. If anyone sees a flaw with my method of size comparison, please let me know. If all is OK, hope this comparison can help others.

Sky

Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow