Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started 8 months ago | Polls thread
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,902
Like?
Re: I'm a "pack rat" ;-)
In reply to Jim Cockfield, 8 months ago

Jim Cockfield wrote:

I use software for that purpose (rating them using 1 star, 2 stars, 3 stars, etc.). IOW, I may start out rating images I want to narrow down further as 2 stars. Then, use a rating filter to go through those and rate them as 3 stars, then find the best ones out of those and rate them as 4 stars, etc., until I end up with a small set of keepers. After that, I'll move the final keepers into a separate folder that I'll also move to online storage like dropbox.

But, I still never delete the other images.

I tend to keep *everything*. Sometimes I may take hundreds and hundreds of photos of nothing more than a stopwatch on a computer screen, with audio recordings of the sequence that I analyze later for frame rate, number of photos before a slowdown, frame rate after the camera's buffer fills up, etc. Do I really need to keep them? Nope. But, I do anyway.

Too much work, esp for the rate at which you're generating them, Jim.

I fully bought into Kelby's reasoning against the 5 star system.  Per him, all you really care about are the 5 stars (which you want to do something with - why display subpar) and the 1 stars (which you delete on the spot).   In Lightroom, these are picks and rejects.

So when I drop a photo run only the computer, I first run through and (P)ick the obvious standouts, and (R)eject all the crap - the out of focus, blurred horribly, subject partially out of frame, the WTF was I thinking.   And the end of that, I delete all the rejects from the catalog and disk.  Then I make one more sweep to identify Picks.  At this point, I rename all Picks from the generic IMG_xxxx name to something suitable like Galagos2013-xxxx (I choose to keep the original canon 4 digit number rather than go simple sequential).  And potentially apply tags to.   And these named files are the ones I proceed to process.   The IMG ones remain for future looks, though in time I'll like purge them aggressively.

The other win this gives me is that I have auto sync jobs that only copy the named files from my images/2013/subject tree to my proofs/2013/subject tree.  This is the mount I feed to media players or DNLA servers as the default, so I can do a quick slideshow or search without having 453 less interesting or repetitive shots.  And it's the mount I more aggressively protect against loss.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow