What's all this about "slow" AF with X-E1/X-Pro1??

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,730Gear list
Like?
Re: The "complainers" probably are used to DSLRs
In reply to David McGaughey, 6 months ago

David McGaughey wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

I have never owned or used any of these models, except my X10, but what's up with all this complaints about returning the camera because of AF? Are this type of people using the camera in COMPLETE darkness or something? I am just trying to understand what all this is about.

I do understand the X-E1/X-pro1 limitations comapred to other cameras out there, but only based on these two video samples bellow i don't see what the problem is at all. To me these cameras focus completely fine. They are not for fast continuous shooting, but i see that they focus just fine as any normal camera should.

Could it be that some of this claims are done by fuji marketters trying to brain wash you into having to spend money on the next new camera model making you think that you NEED it?

Again, based on what i am seeing in these youtube videos i honestly don't see what the problem is. Heck, my cheap X10 does not give me AF problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiifET2zFXI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KNuvulFwY

A modern DSLR with a USM/linear motor/whatever lens focuses NOW (seriously, they almost focus faster than you can think). The X-Pro1/X-E1 focus far slower.

Don't believe me - look at the imaging-resource timings. A 70D can focus and take a picture in 0.075 seconds.

AF tests are based on pre-focusing to eliminate lens performance. Contrast AF always refocuses, phase detect does not if it detects correct focus. Hence its not reasonable to compare the two.

They timed the X-E1 at 0.438 seconds. That's over 5x slower. Which is noticeable.

Using the 35mm lens, which is the slowest. Its considerably faster with the 18-55. Also, if I defocus the 85 F1.8 on my D800 it will take more than a 1/10 of a second to reacquire focus.

Please note though its manual focus lag time was shorter than the 70D. If you want to capture street action, prefocusing using manual focus is always much faster.

And contrast detection was shown to be far more accurate on the tests at DPR for the 70D.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow