Guys, talk me out of not buying a Macbook Pro/Air.. duh!!??

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
holyindian
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
Guys, talk me out of not buying a Macbook Pro/Air.. duh!!??
7 months ago

I know this is the Mac Talk section, and i am torn in between Macbook or a regular Laptop PC such as the Yoga 2 Pro (with great display).

I am basically a desktop guy and have a very fast i7 Haswell processor for my PC, with 16gb memory, and 128gb ssd drive.. etc.

However i do need a laptop.. having used my previous one a Sony Vaio which is in its last stages, and for me speed and performance is top priority. Being into IT by profession, i do tend to indulge into things that crave resources on the system.

Now here is my delimma, i have just begun my journey into photography, and its purely hobby, but i do want to be indulging into rendering the images/raw format or hdr.. etc.

Looking at MacBook Pro 15", the 2.3Ghz is costing me around 2600 dollars, and the 2.6Ghz 2800 dollars. I have a 72TB media server hence storage is not an issue for me as long as i get a boot drive on the SSD with 128GB space.

However i was wondering, if spending 2600 is worth the investment? I know its a decision that i have to make based on my requirements, but almost every one in photography field has one.. not sure why.. retina? performace of 2.3Ghz? Or just status symbol? If i buy a cheaper alternative with a PC/ultrabook laptop, what will i be missing out on?

Or should i just go with a 1.7Ghz MacAir for 1250 dollars?

holyindian's gear list:holyindian's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +2 more
Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow