ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NeoTiger
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Quick Review - NEX-7 w/ 24mm Zeiss vs D600 vs Fuji X100
2 months ago

Hi all,

In my spare time, I've done a quick review of three camera systems that achieve a 35mm full frame equivalent view, but with very different sizes and weights.

The full review is available at this link: http://ai-artificialimagination.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/shootout-fujifilm-x100-vs-sony-alpha.html

The Fujifilm X100 is a fixed-lens APS-C with a high quality 23mm F/2.0 Fujinon fixed lens, and 12 megapixel sensor.

The Sony Alpha NEX-7 has a 24 megapixel sensor that is among the top quality of APS-C size sensors, and is paired with the Carl Zeiss Sonnar E 24mm F/1.8 lens, which is generally regarded as a top quality prime lens.

The Nikon D600 is also a 24 megapixel sensor, but covering a full frame (FX) area. Here it is paired with the Sigma Art Series 35mm F/1.4, also regarded as one of the top prime lenses for DSLR users (and often preferred over the Nikon and Canon equivalents).

For the purposes of this test, I've prepared a simple test scene with a few items including fine text and details. These were positioned towards the centre of the frame, so we can test for maximum sharpness.

For full setup and camera setting details, see the link above.

These are some comparison shots:

I find that the NEX-7 doesn't lose too much at all compared to a full frame camera. Given that they are both 24 megapixel, and both have good prime lenses attached, the resulting level of detail is very close. If anything, I'd say the NEX-7 has a tiny bit more detail, at the expense of more noise.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow