Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started 10 months ago | Polls thread
kelpdiver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940
Like?
Re: I don't have Blue-ray, don't planing on buying Blu-ray
In reply to DuaneV, 10 months ago

DuaneV wrote:

Wow. Really? I think youre overthinking/making it WAY harder than it is. When I back up to it, I drag and drop the folder, name it, burn it, lightscribe a label on it, put it in an envelope and store it. It literally takes 2 minutes of my time because I can do other office work while the disc is taking 10 minutes to write. Id rather have a box of Blu Ray discs than a box of hard drives.

The primary problem with optical backups is the inability to do automated integrity checks.  An online hard drive - easy.

But lot of value to a end of year/sessoion dump to a disk that is nearly uncertain to be stolen (unlike an attached hard drive), and only costs you $2-3 for a 50GB image.  Most years I would need less than one, unless I'm keeping a large portion of raw images.

Jim - if you're taking 30-50 gigs of images for a camera test, how long do you actually need to keep them?  Sounds a bit like data hoarding....I'd leave it on disk, may not actually care too much about backups in the way I do about my own stuff (with backups, offline backups, etc)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow