What's all this about "slow" AF with X-E1/X-Pro1??

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
lnbolch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Re: What's all this about "slow" AF with X-E1/X-Pro1??
In reply to bavarius6, 9 months ago

bavarius6 wrote:

Funny how if I miss a shot I generally blame myself and my failure to anticipate the moment whereas many seem to blame their equipments perceived shortcomings. I'm obviously too hard on myself....

Exactly.

Clearly, there are a number of reasons for buying a camera, that have little to do with photography. One may be the endless pursuit of the magic bullet. A camera that is so empowering that the buyer will not need to do the 10,000 hours of learning and practice—or however many hours it takes. Rather than learning to use whatever they have, the camera failed them, and goes on sale while the next is on order. And the cycle repeats endlessly.

Typically, someone shows up on this forum—a new parent—and asks if an X-camera would be a good choice for photographing the kid. There will inevitably be someone who says that the moment the kid starts to move, there will be no more sharp pictures since the cameras won't be able to focus. Which of course, means that for the first 165 years of photography there were no pictures of children at all, since autofocus did not even exist. 

The person whose self-image depends upon the specifications of the possessions. The more pixels, the more frames per second, the more lines per millimeter, 4k video instead of HD, means being the king of the hill—at least for the moment. If the competing system announces a new camera with more of anything, clearly the supplier of your current system has let you down.

A variation would be the perfectionist. No camera, but big dreams. Avid reader of specifications, and highly opinionated as only a 13-year-old can be. A beginner who just bought an entry level camera shows up for the first time on a forum, with a basic question about lenses. The perfectionist declares the newbie must buy the f/2.8 holy trinity of zooms. No alternative exists. The newbie prices them out and finds they total ten times the price of the camera body and protests. The perfectionist snaps back, "Well, obviously you don't even care about the quality of your images..."

Those who buy cameras for photography will take the time to learn the age-old techniques to ensure results. Anticipate, and pre-focus. Use zone focus and depth of field will take care of you. There is no need to be focused on the subject, so long as they are in the zone. Our cameras are only as capable as the person using them.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8400 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SighNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow