ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,096Gear list
Like?
G2X? - Photo of new camera at Canon Rumors
5 months ago

Hi,

There have been may discussion and rumor threads on this but for the first time a photograph claiming to be the G1X replacement has been posted on Canon Rumors along with some minimal specs. Don't know if it's a fake, but it doesn't look like anything photoshopped from bits I've seen before. Quote from CR below.....

"Below is an image of the upcoming replacement to the PowerShot G1 X. The optical viewfinder has been removed in favor of an external electronic viewfinder.

Specifications (Not definitive)

• Slimmer body, lighter weight
  • External EVF
  • 24-120 f/2-3.9 Lens.
  • DIGIC 6
  • Around $700 USD"

A few things I noticed.......

• it doesn't say what the sensor size is
  • the lens has increased in both zoom range and aperture speed by a full stop at both ends.
  • The camera has no inbuilt VF and they've gone for a tilting external EVF
  • the compensation dial has gone from top

The new lens is quite an achievement if the sensor is still the same 1.5". And it would explain why they had to go EVF - a 24mm angle of view and an increase in lens speed would have worked together to occlude an OVF more than the current version in the G1X.

I can' say I like external EVFs.  IMO they tend to make cameras taller than one with a built in EVF and sometimes add considerable expense if they're sold as an accessory.   And it's another thing in the bag to bring and  potentially forget or lose.  It gets away from the all-in-one concept.

We haven't seen the whole camera, but the absence of the compensation dial is a loss.  I hope it doesn't signal a move toward menu and touch screen options.......

A guess we'll find out if it's a fake and see the full camera in a few days.....

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow