Started 8 months ago | Polls thread
bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,658
Like?
Re: Your opinion on Blu-Ray?
In reply to malch, 8 months ago

malch wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

I do not want to own most movies. How am I supposed to rent a Blu-Ray movie nowadays? Wait for it to reach the top of my Netflix queue, then hope I am still interested when the BR disc finally arrives in the mail?

Much easier to select streaming on Netflix. Their UI is superbly friendly Who cares about surround sound and widescreen? Most shows are equally entertaining with low video quality.

Sadly, the movie industry appears to have learned the square root of sweet nothing from the music industry when it comes to distribution. They still no clue what consumers really want and need. And, once again, the only people addressing consumer needs are the pirates.

Wouldn't it be great if we could download a movie in full HD with 5/7-channel audio to a disk drive and be able to play it on any computer or TV in the house? It's not only feasible -- all of the necessary hardware and software is readily available and very inexpensive. So is the content even if the available sources are all illegal.

The only obstacle is the movie industry business model.

To be fair, it's not just Hollywood. The cable TV and consumer electronics industries aren't much better. Next up: TV makers will be pushing 4K on us. Maybe they can even lobby congress for a mandate (like digital TV)? Can't wait to see how they expect to produce or deliver any content. 3D worked out so well, right?

Given the enormity of the combined market size, you'd really think this set of industries would have their act together, just a tiny bit.

The problem is internet bandwidth, which is already choking on current low quality netflix. And it cost the studios more money to store and send out 25-40GB per movie than 1-4GB. Plus with physical media once you have it or a rental place has it, it's there, Netlflix constant;y pulls this or that and what if they don't have the version you want and what about extras/commentary? Some distribution fight happens and then this or that movie gets pulled for who knows how many years. I hate the streaming model. It's all big business wants though/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow