Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,617Gear list
Like?
Re: Video replays says you are wrong
In reply to Lab D, 7 months ago

Lab D wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

From a purely professional standpoint, I can understand the argument that anything that removes chance from the equation, and guarantees capture of a precise moment no matter the skill of the photographer by shooting video and allowing the perfect moment to simply be pulled out after the fact...

Every minute it seems a video replay changes an important play in sports, catches a bad guy in the act, or captures a special unforeseen moment. More major or minor event are posted on YouTube these days than ever were caught on stills because it is so easy. Think all the pcitures we ended up with of the Boston terrorists.

Unquestionably...but those are video-centric mediums - sports VIDEO, YouTube (video)...even the stills captured from video of the Boston terrorists which could be considered analysis of surveillance via consumer video.  I don't argue the value of pulling stills from video - I argue the JOY of it, or lack thereof, for those of us who enjoy the challenge of capturing a still moment.  For those who like video, 4K sounds great.  For those who have no interest in video, the prospect of using high-res video in place of skill, timing, practice, and pure joy...just doesn't sound desirable or interesting.

I'm not arguing against the existence or use of 4K, just in defense of still photography remaining still photography - always a capture of a single fleeting moment rather than a continuous stream of moments.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow