Selling the XE2 way too slow for me.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,389Gear list
Like?
Re: Selling the XE2 way too slow for me.
In reply to britcam, 5 months ago

britcam wrote:

Ed B wrote:

britcam wrote:

I've had my X-E2 for about three weeks now, so am still at the testing stage, and playing around with settings etc. I can tell you that this thing locks focus in almost any low light, for instance in my living room lit with a single 60w table lamp on the opposite side of the room ...

I use mostly the smallest focus rectangle and single point with focus recompose, but always hit something with a bit of contrast. If that is done, there is practically no delay in acquiring rapid focus.

Exactly!!

When people talk about the cameras not locking focus in low light I always wonder just how low the light is that they're talking about.

I think some of these people have never owned a Fuji and many of them are point & shoot users who need to simply break down and spend several thousand dollars on a top-of-the-line Canon or Nikon full frame DSLR and a couple of fast primes to get the performance they expect but even then, most of them would have complaints.

I have an X-E1 camera. Is it a professional camera? No. Does it's autofocus system track fast moving objects as well as a good DSLR? No (but some entry level DSLR's aren't very good either).

I don't know how "fast" the X-E2 is but even the X-E1 is good enough for anything except fast moving subjects and the X-E1 has no problems locking on focus in low light (virtually no light may be a different matter).

If people say they have a problem with shutter lag then they may need to either exchange their defective camera or learn what shutter lag actually is.

Half press the shutter to obtain focus---then finish depressing the shutter button to take a picture. If the shutter doesn't open immediately, after the final press of the shutter button, you have shutter lag.

Shutter lag, on an X-E1 is basically Zero (0). Shutter lag on most cameras, with a mechanical shutter, is almost nonexistent.

People who talk about shutter lag are point & shoot "experts".

Nicely put, and something like this should be on a "sticky" ...

With these brilliant little Fuji's (bear in mind I have only used the X-E2), the support (or crutch) of Scene modes and other "Auto" modes have gone ... a good thing too. It means that its finally the photographer who makes the difference. For those who aspire to the quality of image that these fabulous cams create, there is no short cut.

The intuitive "feel" comes about after many years of practice and thought. I began when I was about five years old, in the kitchen, printing B&W, guided by my Father, who had been heavily involved on Photo reconnaissance during bombing raids over Germany. At home, he used a 4x4 Rolleiflex, and so over the years I gained a good understanding of photography and camera controls ... he often lent me one of his large format bellows cameras, along with his Weston Master. I remember my first experience of "street photography" on the London underground when I was 8 or 9 years old. Not much shutter lag with that thing ...

But back on topic, as you rightly say, there really is no shutter lag. With modern cams such as these Fujis, for practical purposes, it doesn't exist.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Rich S (britcam)

I agree.  I've never really noticed "shutter lag" on the X-E1.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
HaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow