4K video, Sony has just lost a good PR opportunity

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,690Gear list
Like?
Re: 4K is just a gimmick like 3D and curved TV's ?
In reply to Jeadm, 10 months ago

I agree its coming..... but until the infrastructure to support it gets upgraded ( and in many countries that means legislation ) then the uptake will be very limited.

The cost of producing 4k will be massive for broadcasters and in the current economic climate they ain't gonna be rushing to spend on new gear for a teeny weeny audience.

Cinemas are already effectively at 4k anyway so they are not going to change much - and in fact I understand many film companies will resist too quick a domestic 4k market as it will undermine the cinema experience.

PC's will need powerful processors, masses of memory and huge hard drives.

A 2nd generation blu ray disc may be needed and the attendant player to go with it.

Yes I agree it will happen - but not soon. For many people HD is simply "good enough"

So going back to the original post I don't think Sony missed an opportunity - I suspect they want the whole 4K package - TV, Cameras, storage medium & player to be ready before they start trying to sell it to us.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow