Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
sgm0369
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting a Grip on the 4K Video Conversation
In reply to jennajenna, 5 months ago

jennajenna wrote:

G Sciorio wrote:

There's seems to be some push back in this forum (and other enthusiast forums) about 4K video. I'm reading a lot of stuff like "it's not for me" which I can appreciate. The thing is that if your camera has a live view you're shooting video. You might only be shooting one frame at a time but it's video folks.

The launch of the GH4 allows 8megapixel recording at 30 frames per second AKA 4K.

I've been working with the camera for some time and can say that even with version 0.1 the files look amazing. Overall the camera is about twice as fast as the GH3 including AF tracking.

More so that the speed is that as with GH3 the GH4 allows photographers to shoot video like a photographer that freaken huge! So you don't have to do anything other than light, shoot stills and hit that little red button to make video clip that has the same look and feel as your stills.

Eventually cameras will only shoot video and you'll be pulling frames. You can do that right now with the GH3, as I do for editorial assignments, and with the GH4 the frames of video are printable and more importantly sellable.

As an enthusiast with 4K you get more opportunities to express your creativity and for pros you get the added bonus of having new services to offer your clients and grow your business.

For people to say 4K is not for them is not seeing the forest for the trees. That mentality can be safe if you're an enthusiast but pros that bypass 4K might be looking for a new career before too long.

If you're at WPPI this year I'll be giving free workshops at Unique Photo about 4K but if you're not able to make it check SCBP for some full res 4K clips and pull frames later today.

-- hide signature --

Giulio Sciorio
Professional Photographer, Lumix Luminary and founder of Small Camera Big Picture
http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com
Circle me on G+
https://plus.google.com/u/0/102935018373310351741/
Portfolio
http://www.giuliosciorio.com

First off 4k is just a way for business to keep making money; upgrading for the sake of upgrading. 4k maybe worth it for some; but for a lot of us 1080p in 60fps is pretty much golden. Also most folks don't have the laptop power to process 4k. This is truly a pro thing - and I'm speaking as a gh3 owner. Frankly I'm stilled pssssed with Panasonic releasing the GH3 with that god awful EVF that you have to view perfectly in line in order not to get fuzziness. And Panasonic stubbornly ignores that defect. But I digress...

What I'm curious about is the crop factor of 4k. Is it different then simply doubling up like we are used to with m43. Will a 7mm lens be 14mm in a 4k shooot? or....??

Apparently, 4k adds a 1.2x crop factor on top of m4/3's own factor. So, 7mm -> about 17mm.

sgm0369's gear list:sgm0369's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow