4K video, Sony has just lost a good PR opportunity

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: 4K is just a gimmick like 3D and curved TV's ?
In reply to Sonyshine, 8 months ago

Sonyshine wrote:

I'm not convinced that 4K is the next 'big thing'

Until global broadcasters have lots of 4K content and more critically - the means to broadcast 4K -then nothing will drive the purchase of 4K TV's and therefore no-one will have anywhere to view their 4K videos....

I suspect 4K will be like 3D.

The TV manufacturers will make a huge fuss about it.... and the public will take little notice.

Of course no-one is going to mind having 4K in a camera - I guess its just a bit of possible future proofing - but many cameras have 3D abilities and I bet almost no-one uses it.

I don't agree.  The HDTV market is saturated, and the 3D thing has always been a gimmick in my mind.  And I remember when 1080 content was no existent, abysmal, or awful stretched out standard definition (thankfully that's gotten better).  But if I can produce 4K content myself, and buy a quality display that I can (eventually) afford to drive it, personally I'm going to!  Otherwise it's like you're saying that, yup, 1080 is as good as it gets, we don't need it any better: mission accomplished, no more innovation needed.

Also, remember more and more content is being delivered on the web.  The broadcasters have more competition than ever to worry about.  When they ignore it they end up in situations like they are today, looking over their shoulders worrying about all the online offerings.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow