Fujifilm XF 35 vs 23 (Portrait, People, Facial/Body proportion)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,817
Like?
Re: Fujifilm XF 35 vs 23 (Portrait, People, Facial/Body proportion)
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 5 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

This is a good example. The model looks quite a bit nicer with the 50mm. It makes her look slimmer all over and her face looks better slimmer.

So yes it would seem a longer lens is the better choice. 35mm as a starter.

I think the 56mm F1.2 is the portrait lens not the 23 which is more a capturing a scene type lens.

Greg.

The term portrait, in its broadest sense, can be used to describe any picture of a person; so yes, a wide angle lens can be used as a portrait lens, if that's what makes a person happy and if they're satisfied with their pictures.

Just the same, wide angle lenses are not good portrait lenses and longer lenses are going to be much better and much more flattering.

In 35mm terms, an 85mm to 135mm lens would be ideal for most portraits, especially head & shoulder type pictures, so I agree with you that the 56mm lens on a camera, with an APS size sensor, would be close to the ideal range.

Everyone has their own idea about what they think is "best" and I have used a 35mm lens (on a cropped sensor camera) with good results but it's still hit & miss and a longer focal length is better.

With all that said, most of us take snapshots of family and friends so I suppose any lens that gets the job done is good enough.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow