Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 466
Like?
Re: Doesn't work like that
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 10 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Krich13 wrote:

I prefer to look at the lens magnification with respect to the sensor size

Then the smaller the sensor the better? The pentax Q is the best macro platform?

No, with Pentax Q you run into the empty resolution territory right away. I didn't want to go there, but basically, it's the range where extra pixels or optical magnification do not yield any more actual details. For instance, beyond Diffraction limit.

Neither Olympus not Sony are there yet. Oly wouldn't lose to Sony/Zeiss in close-up detail resolution (it will actually win by a factor of 4 to 6), it will only lose in dynamic range (less headroom for RAW tweaking, both have higher range than JPEG allows).

Today Oly sensor is 16 MP, tomorrow it may issue a new sensor of higher pixel count -- but the lens will remain the same.

And larger sensors will also increase pixel counts.

That they do, but usually smaller sensors update earlier.

Yes it is closer than I mistakenly presented, but the difference is still huge. [...] You need x0.4 magnification on A7, but this Zeiss only delivers x0.2.

Since the question is size, we have to ask if the 1-stop less DOF/light gathering + optical stabilization is more or less significant than the different FOV at the long end and closer focus.

Not sure which part of your statement refers to which lens. Oly doesn't have optical stabilization, while Zeiss has one stop MORE (not less) DOF/light gathering than Oly.

The way I see it, these are two lenses comparable in their performance and size.

Oly pluses: wider range, better close focus, and far better stabilization on Olympus bodies.

Zeiss pluses: 1 stop of DOF/light gathering (may be 2/3 stops in light gathering) , better resolution when coupled to higher resolving A7(R) sensors, better dynamic range of the resulting photos.

The choice is personal. Both brands take advantage of lack of choice at the market. Oly has no cheaper alternatives (except the 4/3 14-54 f/2.8-3.5, but the copy I tried was inferior even to Panasonic 14-45, let alone the new 12-40 f/2.8 zoom).

Zeiss does: Tamron 28-75/2.8. Yes, manual focus and not as wide, but very sharp and contrasty and a full stop faster (and significantly cheaper).

YMMV.

Alex.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow