How could GH4 have addressed stills any better?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
How could GH4 have addressed stills any better?
5 months ago

Other than being smaller--and really, I've had the G5 and the GH3 wasn't that much bigger---it seems like the popular thing to say is that the GH4 is too much of a video camera and that it should have addressed the needs of stills shooters better. So I get it, it's too big for a lot of you. You don't like the body. I get it. But what else could Panasonic have done to make it a better photo tool?

You've got 1/8000 shutter, faster AF, frankly ridiculous burst rate, and RAW development in camera. Also, check out this video around 1:20-28:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVt0zJtKrY

That's a wonderful AF selection feature that we haven't seen yet, and check out how many great nature shots he gets, one after another. Being able to take out 8 MP stills from 4K is another thing he mentions.

So, yes, video is where the big changes have been made, but the GH4 didn't forget about stills shooters. Honestly, we've been at a point since the EM-5 where no subsequent camera has actually improved image quality to any real degree, and GH3 was a good still shooter as well.

How, exactly, does this fall short of what Olympus cameras can provide for a still shooter? Other than the color picker, and we don't know that the GH3 doesn't have it, I don't see where GH3 really didn't provide enough for still shooters. Other than, I suppose, IBIS, but that's starting to sound like a broken record. IBIS was never going to make it into the GH4.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow