Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
doctorxring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,105Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1
In reply to Mike Fewster, 6 months ago

Mike Fewster wrote:

doctorxring wrote:

I've been enjoying my A65 and DT1650 lens for the past two years immensely. But as many enthusiasts do, I would like "more" in respect to image quality.

I've been considering the following options, 1 of two lens options for my A65 or the one camera option.

1. Sony Zeiss 24mm f/2

2. Sony Zeiss 2470mm f/2.8

3. Sony RX1

Which of these options will give the best image quality over what I have already ? Would this be a small increment of image quality or a significant increase over my current combo ?

Thanks for any and all input on this.

Chris

If the topic is just IQ and what will give the biggest incremental jump over your present gear, the RX1 is a runaway winner. It isn't just pixel peeking, the RX1 IQ is immediately apparent. I have had many many cameras over 50+ years of photography and the RX1 continues to stun me with it's IQ.

But there are other considerations. Only you can decide whether the flexibility of an interchangeable lens camera is ultimately worth more to you than the absolute IQ superiority of the RX1. I couldn't answer this myself so I have an RX1 and an interchangeable lens camera. I find that 75% of what I do can be handled by the RX1 but whether this is true for you will depend entirely on your interests and shooting style.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike

Yes, you have have answered my question. The question was about camera hardware defined image quality, not technique. Technique is a lifelong journey and the replies given here about that are also appreciated. I do have 2 very good tripods and a good monopod, and remote release. I do PP, but have been using JPG. I will begin working with raw files.

I suspected the RX1 might offer what you have mentioned, but one likes to hear the voice of experience. I sometimes carry two cameras, so even if the RX1 is paired with the A65-1650 I have no problem with that. At the moment at least 80% of my photography is done with the 1650 and a lot of that could be done at 35mm FF.  So an RX1 could have a big impact on my overall "kit".

Buying a used RX1 looks to be fairly risk free. This will be a good way for me to investigate FF with a good lens matched to it.

thanks kindly, Chris

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow