Camera Choice

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera Choice
In reply to rweaver85, 10 months ago

Your thinking is actually very reasonable. I was going to purchase a 60D, but then found a 7D used and chose it instead. I paid about $800 for that body a year ago and I love it.

The full-frame 5D II can be found at great prices, but with the full-frame lenses, it will probably break your budget. So... great choice, but you can't afford it, so forget it. Easy.

This leaves you with buying a crop sensor camera. Gradually acquire full-frame lenses over the next 3-4 years, then upgrade to a FF body. A 60D with 10-22 is a great start. You kinda have to go crop with the 10-22, but maybe after that get a 50 f/1.4 and the 70-200 f/4 L (over time).

The 60D is a really good camera. The only little problem it has is the lack of Microfocus adjustment. That's no problem with the 10-22, but you need to buy your other lenses from vendors with return policies. And then, you need to critically test your lenses when you buy them. A good way is to lock your camera to tripod, an shoot at a paper target with print, taped to a wall. Compare the autofocus shot to a manually focused shot (these cameras all let you manually focus in LiveView with 10x magnification). But, seriously, it's not that big a deal. By the time you upgrade in a few years, Microfocus adjustment will probably be automated inside the camera.

-- hide signature --

Please forgive my typos. I often post from my phone, and it is difficult to edit mistakes after I post.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow