Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rweaver85
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Camera Choice
9 months ago

I am wanting to purchase a Canon DSLR. I've considered the 5DC, 5D MKII, 60D, 7D and the 70D. The problem is Canon really makes this decision hard for some reason. It seems like from what I read that the older cameras that were tops when they came out are no longer good anymore. It's like they have a timer and when that timer goes off it's self destructs. I personally wouldn't have a problem purchasing any of these cameras. To me a camera is a tool to complete a task. Just to note I am coming from a Pentax K200 and Nikon D40. I was pretty happy with those cameras and had maximized their usage. I love doing video, but when we do spontaneous video we usually grab the iPhone or iPad. I wouldn't mind the video of the 7D without the auto focus.

Here's where I am at. I have a "Plastic Fantastic" that I use with my dad's T3. I am actually quite please with the IQ of the images that I have made with that camera and lens combo. I don't like the controls of the XXXD series. I want an mid level pro camera. I was originally considering the 60D because you can pick one up pretty cheap. Then I got to thinking that if I bumped the budget a little more I could get a 7D. THEN I thought again and told myself if I squeeze a little MORE I could move up to a 70D. I originally had a budget of around $650. Now I'm toying with the idea of around $1100.  Then I got to thinking AGAIN. If I spend 1100 why not go full frame with a 5D MKII.  I'll be honest I'm really pushing it at the top end. Nothing left for a lens or anything for that matter. I was pretty much settled on a 7D until I started comparing the 7D with the 70D. For around $1100 I could get a 7D with a 10-22mm lens.  I would feel more comfortable in the $650 to $750 range for a body or body+grip combo.

I know this subject has probably been beat to death, but there's not much separation between some of these choices.  Honestly I would rather have an older body with better lenses than a better body with mediocre lenses.  I want a good camera for family and some photography work such as portraits and real estate hence the 10-22mm lens.

rweaver85's gear list:rweaver85's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 1100D (EOS Rebel T3 / EOS Kiss X50) Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow