Size comparison of FE 4/2470 on A7 vs Olympus 12-40 f2.8 on GX7

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,597
Like?
Re: apples and oranges
In reply to technic, 7 months ago

technic wrote:

Yes ... I'm currently considering a FF DSLR with bright tele/macro primes for my dragonfly photography and other nature stuff, a Ricoh GR or something similar for 'walkaround' and/or an m43 system for more general photography (but not for the dragonflies due to lack of suitable lenses and EVF issues).

Some nice options there. m43 is becoming more & more viable as a DSLR alternative, especially once the f/2.8 tele is available, and then if they can get one or two high quality tele options out. I'm using a D7000 with 16-85, 70-200/2.8, 35/1.8 and 85/1.8. If I were buying all over again, I'd have to seriously consider the EM1. It does a lot of things better than the D7000, but some things worse - a tough enough comparison to want to possibly rent them and compare them. But I'm not doing it over again Some years from now, once my daughter finishes local schooling and is off to college, I won't have much need for the 70-200/2.8 (school plays, concerts, dance recitals, sports) and will consider a mirrorless kit. I did seriously consider getting just a DSLR with 70-200/2.8 for those things, and mirrorless for everything else, but this was a little over 2 years ago, and none of the mirrorless systems were as viable as they are today. Right now, Olympus is obviously the most complete, but I love what Fuji is doing. They're aggressive, and they're primarily targeting their new system at enthusiast photographers as opposed to a consumer-first mentality.

I think the Sony A7 cameras are a step in the right direction, and comparing them with m43 size/weight is interesting.

It's interesting because until it came along, you pretty much knew you were going big for IQ or you were going small. (In between meant APS-C). Now there's an in between with FF IQ, particularly if you don't need long teles.

Maybe in a few years the Sony A7 series bodies will be as refined as Olympus EM1 now, and there will be a decent set of native lenses to chose from. However, my experience with Sony over many years is that while they make brilliant one-off designs (like DSC-F and RX series) they severely lack commitment to the existing user base.

I'm with you 100% there. I switched from Sony to Nikon for a variety of reasons, all centered around my impression that Sony isn't building a cohesive system with photographers in mind. They're building products, and too frequently with consumers in mind. I also have a NEX-5 which I chose over m43 because Sony was promising lenses including a portrait prime, and m43 had no sign of a portrait prime. Several years on, Sony still doesn't have a portrait prime AFAIC (Sony things the 50/1.8 is it) while Oly has both the 45/1.8 and 75/1.8. I'd probably dump the NEX kit in favor of Fuji or Oly, but ultimately found that (a) I don't really like having two systems and (b) the mirrorless is too much of a 'tweener for me; too big to be pocketable, but not as capable as a DSLR ... certainly preferable in some situations, but then handicapped by lens selection. The 'tweener aspect really hit home with I bought the RX100 and found it preferable to the NEX as a compact alternative to my DSLR. The IQ is a close enough match when comparing to the kit zoom on the NEX, neither has an EVF, while the RX100 has a better LCD (minus the tilting), and the RX100 has a better user interface. And fits in my pockets. I'll even carry it alongside my DSLR to have a WA option without having to change lenses.

It's funny - Fuji is doing a system well. Olympus and Panasonic got off to a really slow start, with tons of redundant and uninteresting zooms, but they had a big head start and really filled out their lineups nicely. But I'm getting the impression that any new product development at Nikon and Canon is being done by people who don't really understand the needs of photographers, while the legacy systems are being developed using the same old formulas (good for consistency, but not a lot of innovation). We see great lens updates coming out, but not much creativity in focal lengths for APS-C, for instance.

I think it's a blast to watch it all unfold ... it evolves over years, but is as much fun as watching .. I dunno .. Downton Abbey ? (I don't watch TV !) Who makes money; who builds market share; what new technologies impact photographers; who's trying to protect legacy products; who was keeping the biggest secret; what's the next big flop ? It's a very interesting industry to follow.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow