NEW TO D3200 & PHOTOGRAPHY PROBLEM WITH COLOR HELP PLEASE?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phoebe1
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
NEW TO D3200 & PHOTOGRAPHY PROBLEM WITH COLOR HELP PLEASE?
10 months ago

Good morning.

I am new to photography and have recently purchased a Nikon D3200.  I like it very much, especially compared to my other two point and shoot cameras.  I am trying to learn how to use the new camera and have even purchased the Digital Field Guide.  (The store was out of the Dummies book, I really enjoy those.)

My question of the moment has to do with obtaining the most accurate colors of a particular subject.  I am only having issues with this one subject, not with any of the others.  (With the wonderful help found here in these forums I have calibrated my monitors with my new ColorMunki Display and my new Canon Pixma Pro-100 prints beautifully.  I am using Photoshop Elements 12 for editing.)

The problem starts with what I see in the Nikon view finder and on the Nikon LCD screen compared to what the camera actually captures as the image.

I have been learning how critical the lighting of the subject is to a satisfactory outcome.  So in this regard I have been experimenting with different methods for lighting the subject which in this case is one of my acrylic on canvas paintings.

At this time I do not have the optimum setup for lighting, so I have had to make do with what is available.  For my other paintings, the lighting outdoors in the shade has worked, as well as photographing the paintings inside my office with newly installed CFL Daylight light bulbs in my ceiling fan.  (Please don't laugh, I'll get there on acquiring better light sources.  It's just that for this project neither of these light sources may work at all even though I am hoping they will because these light sources DO work for my other paintings.)

So, based on the above statements, I am wondering if my problem is with the particular colors of the painting, shades and hues of blues and greens.  (I have been trying to correct the issue with the editing software but it is just not working out and would like to ATTEMPT to at least get a better image of the original before any editing.)  I could post my image but it would be NOT representative of what I need.  If it would help however, let me know and I'll post it.

What would be the most helpful settings on the camera to accomplish this given my current limited lighting situation?  I keep hoping the light sources I have will work because they have worked for the other paintings.  I have tried AUTO, I have tried NO FLASH, I have tried ALL the dial settings I can think of. I have tried these dial settings with different adjustments in the menu selections.  I have tried the color card technique.

Thank you very much for any interest and I am excited to hear suggestions on what I can do to accomplish my desired outcome.

Regards,

P.

(Newbie)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow