Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,697Gear list
Like?
Re: apples and oranges
In reply to Dennis, 6 months ago

Dennis wrote:

technic wrote:

Comparing the final images is the best way to see which is better, but this can only be done in a very limited range because comparable lenses often don't exist. ... (cut) ... All sensors sizes / systems have their pros and cons.

The equivalent of a good and still affordable f/1.4 50mm standard lens for FF is probably not going to happen on m43 (f/0.7 25mm), or it would be very big and expensive. But the other way round, the FF equivalent of a very affordable 25x f/2.8 superzoom lens for 1/2.3" sensor is not going to happen either.

Good post ! They all have their pros & cons. We get too hung up on comparing equivalents, when what matters to any given photographer is the system he/she would actually buy (as you say, there rarely are direct equivalents). And then, many photographers don't limit themselves to a single system; some use multiple systems and many at least complement their primary system with a good compact. Which is simply to say that the guy who travels with an RX10 might have a DSLR for sports or something for landscapes, while the guy with a FF DSLR might have a tiny m43 body and collapsing zoom for travel. There is no best ! There's only heaps of stuff with which to take pictures. And video

Yes ... I'm currently considering a FF DSLR with bright tele/macro primes for my dragonfly photography and other nature stuff, a Ricoh GR or something similar for 'walkaround' and/or an m43 system for more general photography (but not for the dragonflies due to lack of suitable lenses and EVF issues).

I think the Sony A7 cameras are a step in the right direction, and comparing them with m43 size/weight is interesting. For lenses longer than a standard zoom it will be very difficult to compete with m43 on size/weight though, below that they should do fine when the lens range keeps expanding. For me (and I guess for many others) A7(r) currently has too many limitations and flaws, especially regarding native lenses, to consider them as a primary camera system.

Maybe in a few years the Sony A7 series bodies will be as refined as Olympus EM1 now, and there will be a decent set of native lenses to chose from. However, my experience with Sony over many years is that while they make brilliant one-off designs (like DSC-F and RX series) they severely lack commitment to the existing user base.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow