Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Daniel Wee
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
A7 with Voigtlander Ultron 28mm/F2
8 months ago

I got my hands on a Voigtlander Ultron 28mm/F2 because I wanted something wider and faster than the FE35mm/F2.8. The Leica options were way too expensive so I thought I would give this a go. It was my first fully manual lense so it took a bit of getting used to in terms of the A7 settings. I shot in aperture priority (A) mode in the main, letting the camera decide on the shutter speed and the ISO.
The lens is really quite well built and looks very handsome on the A7. You have an aperture ring, of course, that feels really nice going from F2 to F22. The manual focus ring is also really nice and smooth with just the right resistance. There is a finger tab on the focus right to help you with handling. It did take a bit of getting used to because the focus ring is a little recessed, but once you get the hang of it, you won't be thinking too much about this.

Here are some photos of the Voigtlander on the α7.

As the lense comes with a Leica/M-mount, I had to get an M to E-mount adapter. The thing is completely manual and the camera will not know anything about the lense settings (aperture, focal length, etc.) I assigned magnification to the C1-button because the camera also doesn't know when you turn the focus ring (unlike on SONY native lenses.)
That aside, the lense was very nice to use after a while, and surprisingly easy to focus - much easier than focus-by-wire lenses. It has a very positive feel to it, with nice travel with approximate distances clearly marked out. In use, the lens appeared to be less contrasty than the FE35mm, and less sharp as well. Nevertheless, it was sharp enough for my needs and the colour and contrast can be easily fixed in post. I used more sharpening in post as well. There was some corner fall-off but I actually kinda like the vignetted look anyway so it doesn't bother me that much.
I managed to take a few fun shots before the light was completely gone so here you go:-

F5.6 (I think)

F4

F2

F2 or F2.8

F4

Possibly the littlest bit of barrel distortion visible here. F2

F2

I can feel myself warming up to this lense. It's not the most clinically sharp lense, nor is the bokeh as nice as the FE55mm/F1.8 but it's good enough to take nice pictures, and I enjoy using it. I had originally thought to wait for an 24mm from SONY but I realized that something like that is going to take a long time. In the interim, this Voigtlander should provide me some fun.

Daniel Wee's gear list:Daniel Wee's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD750 Olympus C-2000 Zoom Nikon D70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 +17 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow