OK I'll just look at M39 and OM glass.... No I won't...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
JBurnett
Contributing MemberPosts: 652Gear list
Like?
Affordable Ultra Wide
In reply to Lumixdude, 7 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

What has me curious is a decent lens below 14mm. The price for the Olympus 12 just isn't cricket... I really do use the 22mm wde end of my LX7 a lot and the Samyang 10 isn't that great of a lens. The kit 28 is good, but if I could get a cheap 24mm equivalent or wider, even better..

There are two more affordable choices for an ultra-wide (affordable compared to the Olympus 12mm, 9-18mm or Panasonic 7-14mm, that is).

1. The Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 7.5mm fisheye. Yes it is a manual-focus fisheye, but it is very sharp, and can be de-fished quite successfully. Search for "fisheye" or "defish" in this forum.

2. The Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 + DMW-GWC1 wide angle converter (approximately 11mm). I use this combo. The DMW-GWC1 also works on the 14-42 power zoom. While it will never quite equal the dedicated ultra-wides, performance is surprisingly good, especially when stopped down to f/4 or f/5.6. Great in a pinch, when 14mm (28mm FF equivalent) just won't do.

And, while it isn't always convenient or easy, one can always take multiple shots in "portrait" mode and stitch them together. The 14mm in portrait orientation give a similar vertical angle of view as a 10.5mm would.

If you do a LOT of ultra-wide, perhaps look for a used 9-18mm (the M.Zuiko Micro-4/3 version -- the 4/3 version is much larger and requires an adapter).

-- hide signature --
 JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow