Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
technic
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,560Gear list
Like?
Re: apples and oranges
In reply to forpetessake, 5 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

viking79 wrote:

I think ease of design has more to do with field of view and entrance pupil size (focal length / f-number). The easiest lens designs I have seen which are very good are large format lenses. They are very simple lenses and don't need very high resolution (since the sensor size, film, is measured in inches).

I think in general smaller sensors are harder to design lenses for, as you have to start getting excellent performance at very large apertures to make them any good.

Very true. If equivalent lenses had the same or lower production cost/spec then smaller sensors were the winners. But the reality is that by increasing the sensor size the production cost/spec for equivalent lenses goes down.

Of course NOT; what would a MF equivalent of the Sony 4/24-70 cost? What would the FF version of a f/2.8 25-600mm equiv. superzoom lens cost?

There is probably an optimal (sensor) size for certain types of lens design, and those are often the types of lenses that we have got used to for that format. I don't agree with viking79 that FF lenses (or even bigger) will always win. If lenses get bigger you just run into other types of problems than when they get smaller. It isn't just about optics, it's also about mechanics, temperature effects, wear&tear and what size/weight is still practical.

Much of the current lens technology (both optical and mechanical) was optimised for FF size film and sensors. Smaller lenses until 10-15 year ago were for film and had relatively low requirements for resolution and distortion; they still have some catching up to do.

technic's gear list:technic's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow