In search of image quality

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Jeadm
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: In search of image quality
In reply to doctorxring, 7 months ago

I would personally stick with the DSLR.  The way I see it, you can either focus on some nice prime lenses (and do your cropping in PP; the A65 has pixels to spare for that)... or consider the full frame A99 for improved low light performance (this would probably be the only truly meaningful body upgrade to what you have at this point, not taking endless rumors of what may be ahead into account).  Excellent zoom lens suggestions so far, the upcoming imminent Sigma 18-35 f1.8 a lot of good things are being said about that one (already out in other mounts), as well as the older Sigma 50-150 f2.8.

Still doing JPEG only?  Shoot RAW and do some PP conversion work to get the absolute most out of your images.  Also, you say AF speed isn't important and that you like static or stills where you can take your time.  When focus is absolutely critical don't be shy about manual focus with focus peaking and focus check magnify; a lot of people get comfortable with automation and overlook this simple alternative, not realizing that they can so easily coax more sharpness out of their lenses by fine tuning their focus this way.

As the new cameras get more and more pixels I think it's more important that you don't spend a lot of time pixel peeping; rather look at the overall image.  Many lenses out there that are still very good simply won't outresolve today's sensors, but will still provide excellent image quality.  It used to be easier to peep when lenses had resolution to spare with lower MP bodies; now it's not quite that simple.  The evolution of lens technology hasn't kept up the pace with sensor advances.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Sony SLT-A57 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow