Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Re: In search of image quality
In reply to Michel J, 9 months ago

Michel J wrote:

doctorxring wrote:

Michel J wrote:

dlkeller wrote:

You have a good camera and one of the best zooms available so I'm not sure a lens change is going to really improve images except on an extreme pixel peeking examination.

If you are this discriminating I would make my decision based on specific need rather than a general suggestion. What aspect of performance do you really hope to improve upon?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Agreed,

And it's depends on the future choice of the O.P. (if he want to switch FF or not)

Anyway, the CZ 24mm F/2, is not as good with the A65/A77 (DxO give a ratio of 10 p-MP only) vs CZ 24-70mm 15 p-MP. That tell to me, the zoom should be a better choice imho.

I would forget the RX1, because it's excellent, but not in the same league. And the CZ zoom maybe not so far.

If for a prime, I would prefer the Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM. Stunning. And the F/1,8 rocks to get the extra lit to have higher shutter speed. This is the best DT prime ever for the A65/A77. US$250.- only and as good as the Sony 35mm F1.4 G! (US$1369)

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J

Thanks for your comeback Michael

It is indeed surprising that "DxO" would rate the 24mm f/2 in a meager fashion and Photozone would have this to say about it --

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/567-zeiss24f2?start=1

"The Zeiss Distagon T* 24mm f/2 ZA SSM is one of the true marvels out there - at least within the analyzed APS-C scope. The lens is exceedingly sharp across the image frame starting straight at f/2 till f/8. The low level of CAs helps to boost the subjective sharpness perception even further. The Zeiss lens produces only a slight to moderate amount of barrel distortion. You may be able to spot some light falloff in the image corners at f/2 but the issue isn't field-relevant anymore from f/2.8 onwards. The quality of the bokeh is very good for such a kind of lens (albeit average in absolute terms) and bokeh fringing (LoCAs) is also very well controlled. The build quality of the Zeiss lens is exceptionally high and the AF delivers a flawless performance. In this lens class Zeiss has reached the highest level of perfection and despite its high price tag it earned our highest praise - highly recommended !

Because it's depends on which camera the lens was attached....

As you can see, it was mounted on an A700. Not the same story.

doctorxring wrote:

Michael -- I just saw your post and am adding this. I have the DT35mm f1.8 and it is great, but it is 50mm equivalent on the A65. I'm finding it too "long" for what I like to do. It's not short on image quality though. Excellent !

Ok,

For the A65:

Take a look to the Sigma 18-35mm F/1,8 A.

Better than any prime if you search HQ images. Stunning.

Thereafter, try to get the Sigma 50-150mm F/2,8

Same level.

Both, better than the CZ zoom, really: imho.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Thanks Michael.  I'll check out the. Sigma 1835.  I had not found that lens yet.

best, Chris

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A65 Sony a77 II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow