OK I'll just look at M39 and OM glass.... No I won't...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
JBurnett
Contributing MemberPosts: 651Gear list
Like?
Re: Your loss...
In reply to Lumixdude, 7 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

I may have been wrong, I was looking at prices of legacy glass and most of it seems over inflated... Just at a quick look though. I didn't realise they remained constant with adapters I'm new here of course, but there seems to be a few people taking advantage of the fact that legacy glass is out there.

A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens. F/2 is f/2 when it comes to exposure. On Micro-4/3, 50mm is a short telephoto or portrait lens, not a "standard" focal length.

Many M39/LTM lenses remain expensive (Leica, Voigtlander). Russian copies are an exception.

Olympus OM lenses are valued a bit higher because they are usually optically excellent, and smaller than many other SLR lenses. You'll find more bargains in Minolta, Konica, and Canon FD mounts.

35mm legacy lenses vary in performance. Some are quite good. Others aren't worth the bother. Many are a bit dreamy/low-contrast/soft wide open, but sharpen up nicely 1-2 stops down. You need to do research.

I have used a few legacy lenses successfully as stop-gaps. All have now been replaced by "native" lenses, which I find to have better image quality. If you're looking for bargains in a prime, check out the Sigma 19, 30 and 60mm native lenses. They aren't the fastest (f/2.8) but seem to give very good IQ (and quick AF) at a good price.

-- hide signature --
 JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow