Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started 5 months ago | Polls thread
malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,433
Like?
Re: Your opinion on Blu-Ray?
In reply to lemon_juice, 5 months ago

lemon_juice wrote:

I generally like optical discs because they are practical for cheaply storing chunks of data in different pieces - for example, I have a film or a collection of photos and I have it on a disc and can give it, send it to someone or store on the shelf for archiving. They also have convenient format for putting them into a box and there is space on them for labelling. And they are something physical that I can really own as opposed to "cloud". There are quite a number of such small details in which they have advantage over other media available today.

When the CD was first introduced, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and bought one the first (and rather expensive) CD players. For me it eliminated the vinyl scratches and the tape hiss.

But in more recent years, my experience with optical disks in general has been way less than stellar and I came dislike them. More importantly, I started to mistrust them for data.

So now I've pretty much eliminated optical disks from my life. All of my music CD's, movies, and data disks have been copied to hard drives and I love not having to deal with the old optical disks.

I dislike the things and the per disk storage capacity is too small to be really useful or convenient.

AFAIK, few BluRay movie disks are being sold and BluRay doesn't seem to be moving forward. So as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much dead.

USB3 drives have hugely more capacity and they're enormously faster and easier to store. I wish one could buy drives with a longer life expectancy but copying my data to a new drive with full verification every 3-5 years isn't a huge hassle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow