ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,262Gear list
Like?
ILCE-7r Best small product photography camera out there
7 months ago

Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum DAC256 with remote control

I have now used the Sony A7r for two large commercial shoots (I tend to shoot only one a month) and several small ones. I have used every conceivable function necessary to my work including WiFi tethering to an iPad and and iPhone. For a still-life 35mm digital camera, it is the bees' knees. Totally.

- The level is easy to use
- the 14x zoom is great
- WiFi tethering makes for easy lighting setup
- relatively fast-acting LCD means easy focus
- low-noise, high contrast rear image is soooo much better than a D800
- adaptability to view cameras and Nikon PC lenses is perfect
- works with all flash triggers I've tried

I'll be honest that I very much dislike this camera outside of the still life studio. But that doesn't matter. I bought it for a purpose and it serves that purpose quite well. Until I go back to medium format,this will be the camera I swear by. I've bought a few extra batteries and may pick up a backup as well (currently my D800 is the backup).

For my work, it is incredible and saves at least an hour or two every single shoot over using the D800. Awesome.

The photos in this thread are just for a review and are not commercial and therefore not perfectly lit or exposed for functionality. You will notice that the LCD isn't lit up in one of the images and there is dust and the pictures could be sharper. At a pixel level, the somewhat old lens I use is very good. Sometimes I use the 50/2 Ai Nikkor, which is sharper, but usually only for semi-wide angle product shoots (most are taken at equivalent to 85mm).

The product is: Antelope Audio's premier Zodiac 256DAC. I left Voltikus power supply out of this one.

This image was taken for review of the DAC at Ω image that should be published next week.

Strobist:

Two bare Profoto Prob-B strobes, camera left and right directly into half metre-long styrene boards, shuttered reflectors camera bottom and a bit of a bare strobe on the upper left portion of the amp. Triggered by Flashwaves III.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow