Focusing a fully manual Samyang 14mm on a body with no live view

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
Re: Focusing a fully manual Samyang 14mm on a body with no live view
In reply to mmilkov, 6 months ago

mmilkov wrote:

I have used the Samyang/Rokinon 14 mm f2.8 lens on a Nikon D300s. I have the one with focus confirm chip, but, to tell you the truth, the focus confirm light in the viewfinder stays lit for quite a wide range as I turn the focus ring. What does this mean? This is a wide angle lens and everything beyond 3-4 meters is basically in focus. I don't bother with the focus confirm light anymore. I just set the focus based on my estimate of the distance to the subject (using the scale in m or ft) and get done with it. This works well for f2.8 and you will have nothing to worry about at smaller apertures.

Mihail

If you have it in focus don't worry.

I just got a copy (actually a second copy; I returned the first without trying because I was spending too much money at the time) for my D800E. I'm still trying to calibrate. The focus confirm circle appears considerably before infinity and stays on through the infinity mark. Infinity is too long even when focus confirm is on. The image is probably "sharp" within Nikon parameters, but that may not be the sharpest point.

For my lens/camera combo, it seems like 2-3mm past the point where the circle first appears is optimal.  When I hit that spot, the sharpness is amazing.

By the way, I like this lens so much that I ordered a second copy for my Canon cameras.

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow