Size comparison of FE 4/2470 on A7 vs Olympus 12-40 f2.8 on GX7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,097
Like?
Re: apples and oranges
In reply to stevo23, 10 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Since the beginning of photography. The smaller the frame, the higher the resolution has to be and the tighter all the other parameters need to be. It's actually logical when you think about it.

And yet, they manage it in inexpensive lenses, suggesting that it is easier to do so in smaller lenses. Miniscule lenses on $200 digicams outresolve (in terms of lp/mm) expensive interchangeable lenses.

But I think the mixup is in what the person I replied to meant when he said he expects one lens to be "better". Initially, I interpreted it literally; that it's a better lens. But in the context of the discussion, I think he meant that the resulting images will be better. Semantics, maybe, but I think it's two different things. You can get results from a cheap kit zoom on FF that beat an expensive, fast lens on a smaller sensor, but I don't think people would translate that into the cheap lens being a "better" lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow