Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,625Gear list
Like?
Re: Here is a real comparison
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 9 months ago

Erik Magnuson wrote:

viking79 wrote:

I am still wondering why we are comparing a 12-35 or 12-40mm f/2.8 with a 24-70mm f/4, they are very different focal lengths and entrance pupil sizes.

The pragmatic argument is that these two lenses have a very similar FOV range and are high quality fixed aperture zooms. The two systems (lens+sensor) would also be very similar in results at max aperture in lower light situations: the A7 would have a little over 1/2 stop lower mid-tone noise for f/4 1/100 @ISO 3200 vs. G7 f/2.8 1/100 @ ISO 1600 (DxO print SNR difference ~1.5 stops - 1 stop for aperture.) If you matched the DOF and used f/5.6 1/100 @ISO 6400 on the A7, the 1/2 stop would favor the MFT system.

Oh, I know, I just like to be a pain  The A7 isn't great performance for its sensor size, still very good.

I grow weary of all the statements like, "this Pentax Q 06 lens 5-15mm f/2.8 is better than your full frame 70-200mm f/2.8 because it is the same field of view and the same f number and is much smaller".  Most people have no trouble seeing this difference in the case of a Q vs a full frame, but when it comes to m4/3...

Of course the lens with twice as large of aperture stop is going to be larger.

OSS in the lens is another size factor.

Yes, and of the 3, only the Olympus doesn't have OIS?

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow