Size comparison of FE 4/2470 on A7 vs Olympus 12-40 f2.8 on GX7

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,119
Like?
Backpedaling/explaining/clarifying/semantics ...
In reply to Dennis, 10 months ago

OK, let me back up a bit here ... here's the context:

Emacs23 wrote:

optoms wrote:

I have not compare the image yet. But im guessing olympus one should be a better optic then sony zeiss as review arent that fantastic. i am surprised as well with the size of the FE lens But then olympus is f2.8 and longer at the end and it come with a manuel focusing system.

I bet 24-70 is better. Larger sensor — easier to design.

This is what I was replying to.

If the argument someone wants to make is that it's easier to design a lens for a larger sensor that outresolves the smaller system then I agree. That's almost a no-brainer.

If the argument is that it's easier to make a good lens for FF than a good lens for m43, then I disagree. If you buy into a FF system, you're not doing it because you can get m43 resolution with cheap, easy-to-design lenses; you're buying it to get something better. And a good 24-70 is hard to make.

I guess the real question is - what's the point of the comparison in the posts I replied to ? What does Emacs23 mean by "24-70 is better" ? If it's that it can outresolve the m43 kit, then I'd reply that I sure as heck hope so !!! But maybe that is all he intended to say because optoms seems to find some relevance in whatever aspect of the m43 lens might be "better".

So my objection is really irrelevant. I still maintain that it's harder to make lenses for large sensors, because I expect good lenses, regardless of the sensor size. I don't think Sony's goal in developing the 24-70 was to simply match micro 4/3, and therefore I don't think they found the task of developing that lens somehow easier than the task Olympus had in developing their lens.

But, in the context of the above debate, regardless of which lens is better within its format, I have to believe that the FF kit can't help but outresolve the m43 kit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow