Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,119
Like?
Re: apples and oranges
In reply to forpetessake, 10 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

Dennis wrote:

OK, so you're saying that it's easier because it doesn't have to be as good. I've always looked at it slightly differently: that it's harder to make a sharp, distortion-free lens for a larger sensor, but it's ok that they're not as sharp because the larger sensor is less demanding.

It seems you don't understand that 'good', 'sharp', etc. is relative to the format. The 40lpmm FF lens is sharp, the 40lpmm m43 lens is lousy. To match FF, the m43 lens would need to be 80 lpmm, I doubt there is one.

Why would m43 need to match FF ? If that's your yardstick, then sure, I agree 100%, it's easier to design FF lenses than m43.

I don't think that small systems matching large systems has ever been part of the equation. 35mm never matched medium format which never matched large format. The larger lenses always resolved fewer lp/mm, but managed to record more detail across the frame. Yet nobody ever claimed that those large lenses were easier to design. Just because you're resolving fewer lp/mm doesn't mean it's easier to do across a bigger image circle.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow