Senior MemberPosts: 3,553
Like?
Re: apples and oranges
In reply to Dennis, 7 months ago

Dennis wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Dennis wrote:

Emacs23 wrote:

I bet 24-70 is better. Larger sensor — easier to design.

Since when ?

To look at this another way, pretend I wanted to get a "16 MP" image out of the camera. For the E-M1 that would require 133 lp/mm, but a lens with only 68 lp/mm would be fine on A7 or A7R. This is very low and easy to design, where 133 lp/mm is getting exceedingly difficult and expensive.

OK, so you're saying that it's easier because it doesn't have to be as good. I've always looked at it slightly differently: that it's harder to make a sharp, distortion-free lens for a larger sensor, but it's ok that they're not as sharp because the larger sensor is less demanding.

It seems you don't understand that 'good', 'sharp', etc. is relative to the format. The 40lpmm FF lens is sharp, the 40lpmm m43 lens is lousy. To match FF, the m43 lens would need to be 80 lpmm, I doubt there is one.

The 50mm f/1.4 FF lens is quite common and quite inexpensive. An equivalent 25mm f/0.7 m43 lens simply doesn't exist, forget the resolution.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow