Noise and ETTR

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
cmpatti
Regular MemberPosts: 243Gear list
Like?
Re: Noise and ETTR
In reply to Anders W, 10 months ago

Anders W wrote:

In addition to the link to the article you already got from GeorgianBay1939, you might want to have a look at this recipe for exposure with the E-M5 specifically:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51169217

I have a question about the procedure outlined in this post. It calls for setting the largest aperture and the slowest shutter speed that will get the image and then pushing the histogram to the right by raising ISO. It's been my impression that achieving ETTR by increasing ISO doesn't accomplish any meaningful noise reduction because the ISO increase offsets the benefits of ETTR. Therefore, I've thought that ETTR is only really useful in low contrast, well-lighted situations where you can increase exposure at base ISO by reducing shutter speed without blowing out highlights. Since those situations aren't all that common, and since noise isn't usually a major concern in those situations, I haven't really taken the trouble to incorporate ETTR in my metering routine. Instead, my practice has been "shoot at the lowest ISO at which you can get the shutter speed you need" (since I'm generally shooting aperture priority).

So my question: is there any testing available that shows that raising ISO to achieve ETTR reduces noise? In other words, that ISO 200, f/4, 1/100 (with highlights a stop from the right) will produce more noise than ISO 400, f/4, 1/100? This would be useful to know.

cmpatti's gear list:cmpatti's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow