Size comparison of FE 4/2470 on A7 vs Olympus 12-40 f2.8 on GX7

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Krich13
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?
Re: Why compare the larger M43 lens and not the one with the same range?
In reply to Lab D, 8 months ago

Lab D wrote:

Maybe it is what you had on hand. FYI, The Panasonic would be a better lens to compare since it is also only 24-70mm and does not have the optics for a close up lens as the Sony doesn't either. You will find the Panasonic is smaller than the Olympus, but maybe that was not your point (since you left the hood one the Olympus).

As for understanding exposure think of lens apertures like this. A fat lady and a thin lady are laying on the beach. Who will get sun burnt faster? Answer: both will burn/tan the same despite the fat lady having 4x the skin area.

No, you actually don't understand exposure. Not in context of semiconductor sensors anyway -- your example of two ladies would be relevant for film exposure, not for the semiconductor sensors.

For the latter, not exposure _per_unit_area_, but the total number of photons captured (and consequently the number of electron--hole pairs generated) is a relevant parameter.

Having said that, Olympus is indeed a remarkable lens. In Equivalence terms it's only a stop behind the Zeiss (and even less than that considering that OM-D sensor (not sure about the Panasonic ones) is on par with Nikon's sensors while Sony A7 falls some 1/3 stop behind), it is a brilliant optical design capable of resolving many more lines per mm (Eric is absolutely right), which has longer range, better close focus capability and (on Olympus bodies) likely has better image stabilization -- I often get sharp images at crazy low speeds such as 1/3 to 1/6 s, while initial reports on 24-70 are very far from there.

I have both A7 and OM-D EM-5, so I can be impartial here. I bought the 12-40 (and love it) but I have absolutely no intention of buying the Zeiss 24-70. Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 will do just fine. Full stop faster, sharp enough (and again, Eric is right about lower resolving lenses on a big sensor) for my uses (and probably comparable to Zeiss at f/4, but that should to be confirmed) and only 100 grams heavier (with an adapter, without -- 70 grams)...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow